Security & Data
How we protect your privacy
A huge amount of your business is conducted using your phone these days, and that can mean a huge amount of device data usage too. So you might be wondering—how much of that usage is the Crew app responsible for?
The answer is—a lot less than you might think.
- Sending messages between employees via Crew doesn’t count against text message limits, because Crew delivers all messages over data services. This is important to understand for employees who might be reluctant to utilize the app because of limited texting plans.
- Because the data Crew uses is mostly text-based, it accounts for a tiny percentage of your overall data usage. In fact, if you sent only text messages in the app the amount of usage would be almost undetectable. And employees who install the app but don’t open it will be using practically no data at all.
- Sending photos and, especially, videos can be responsible for spikes in data usage, so we’ve designed the app so that these large files are downloaded only when an employee actually taps to open them.
- Providing employees with access to WiFi at work is a great way to decrease data usage.
Note If necessary, employees can turn off cellular data usage by Crew within their phone settings.How Much Data Does Crew Use?
The security of our users’ data is of paramount importance to all of us at Crew. We know you expect your private messages to be private, and we focus a huge amount of our engineering resources on ensuring that they are. But you don’t have to just take our word for it—here’s exactly how we do it.
- All communications between employees’ devices and the Crew servers are encrypted in transit using TLS, so they can’t be read or modified in transit.
- All user data—including messages, photos, videos, etc.—that lives on Crew servers is also encrypted at rest, and the encryption keys used are stored separately, on dedicated encryption servers.
- All employee credentials stored on devices are encrypted using keychain, or similar, software, which protects those credentials from retrieval by a third party.
- Organizational data stored on individual employee devices can be remotely wiped at any time by an admin by simply removing that individual from the Organization.
When matched with an organizational policy that enforces employees’ use of passwords on their phones, users can rest assured that they are as protected as possible from unauthorized access to company data.How Secure Is the Crew App?
You want your apps to work at the speed of thought and at the tap of a finger, so Crew has been designed to have a light footprint and to use its portion of your hard drive as efficiently as possible. Though Crew holds lots of your organizational and communication data at the ready for you to manipulate, it doesn’t actually take up as much space on your hard drive as you might think. In fact, not nearly as much as other functions on your phone—or your personal photos and videos—most likely do.
Crew caches the data related to your organization(s)—messages and coworkers lists, for example—in order to be able to load that information as fast as possible at the moment you need it. Stored data is even available to you when you’re not connected to the Internet. Because those items are text-based they don’t take up much space in the first place. Crew photos and videos are stored in a compressed format, both to conserve space and to make it possible even for older devices to run the app effectively.
Check It Out
If you want to find out exactly how much space the Crew app uses on your hard drive, it’s an easy thing to check, though the method does vary depending on your device.
- Go to your phone’s Settings screen
- Scroll to the “Applications” heading
- Tap on “Applications manager”
- Tap “Crew”
You will see the total amount of space Crew uses on your hard drive, as well as its various components: Application (the app itself), Data, and Cache.
This Android screen shows how much data your Crew app uses
If you absolutely need to clear some space you can always use the “Clear Cache” button to do so; the next time you need that cleared data you’ll just have to download it afresh.
- Go to your phone’s Settings screen
- Tap “General”
- Tap “Storage and iCloud Usage”
- Tap “Manage Storage”
- Tap “Crew”
You will see the total amount of data Crew uses on your hard drive, and the amount of it that’s reserved for documents and data.
This iOS screen shows how much data your Crew app usesHow Much Space Does Crew Take Up on My Phone?
When a user first installs Crew, the Permissions screen alerts them to the fact that the app will have access to various parts of their phone’s operating system.
Location access is needed to make the Location Groups feature work, but is only approximate and never stored
The need for location permissions—required for the Location Groups feature—has prompted some users to wonder if, when, and why, Crew is tracking their location.
We value your privacy
The privacy of our users is extremely important to us, and that’s why we designed the app in general, and the Location Groups feature in particular, with your privacy very much in mind. The feature does not—cannot—follow your exact movements, and none of the location data we do use is stored on—or even goes to—our servers.
How does Crew use my location data?
The Location Groups feature works because Crew has given the parameters of your Organization’s physical location to your phone; your phone then reports back to Crew when it either enters or leaves those parameters. That’s it. Crew never knows exactly where you, or your phone, are. Your Organization’s admins never know exactly where you, or your phone, are—only whether you have entered or left the location site. The specific latitude and longitude registered by the GPS on your phone never leave that device—Crew doesn’t actually need them.
As if protecting your privacy wasn’t enough, tapping your location data selectively in this way has an additional benefit: it saves on battery life. The Crew app doesn’t need to wake up your GPS to check where you are all the time, the way some location apps do; it doesn’t work that way. Instead, the GPS is only activated when you enter or leave the location site, making its drain on your battery extremely minimal.
Location Groups only
If your admin hasn’t set up any Location Groups for your Organization, your location data isn’t used by the app at all.Does Crew Track Users With Location?